Anzac Centenary Local Grants Program

The Centenary of Anzac 2014 – 2018 will be one the most significant national periods of commemoration in Australia’s history.

The Anzac Centenary Local Grants Program provides a unique opportunity for the people of Higgins to commemorate the Centenary of Anzac and recognise the role and sacrifice of these Australians, and that of their families.

There are many different ways this can be done – from traditional dawn services and marches of veterans, through to re-enactments of recruiting marches, school-based education programmes, refurbishing of memorials and honour boards and/or establishment of new places of commemoration and reflection.


For more information please click here or contact my office.


Congratulatory Messages

Australians who are celebrating a special birthday or wedding anniversary can receive personal congratulations from the Prime Minister, Governor-General or The Queen.


Who is eligible for a congratulatory message?

  • The Prime Minister will send a message of congratulations to people turning 90 years of age or more.
  • The Queen and Governor-General will send a message on a 100th birthday.
  • On request, the Prime Minister and the Governor-General will write again every year and The Queen will write again every five years following the 100th Birthday.
  • The Prime Minister and Governor-General send messages to couples celebrating 50 years of marriage and subsequent wedding anniversaries.
  • The Queen will send messages to couples celebrating 60 years of marriage and will write every five years after that on request.

Congratulatory Messages Eligibility

50th Wedding Anniversary 50th plus Wedding Anniversary 90th Birthday 90th plus Birthday
Prime Minister Yes Yes Yes Yes
Governor-General Yes Yes No 100th and every year thereafter
The Queen No 60th and every fifth year thereafter No 100th and every fifth year thereafter


How do I arrange the message?

You can arrange a congratulatory message through Kelly O’Dwyer’s office by:

  • Calling the office on 03 9822 4422;
  • Visiting the electorate office at Suite 1, 1343 Malvern Road, Malvern; or
  • Complete the form below.

If you are applying for a message on behalf of a relative or friend who lives in another electorate, their local federal member will be notified so they can send a message too.

You will need to provide supporting documentation such as birth certificates or marriage certificates.

If these are not available you can provide a statutory declaration. Statutory declaration forms are available at any post office or from the electorate office.

Supporting documentation in the form of a statutory declarations can be posted or hand delivered to Suite 1, 1343 Malvern Road, Malvern. Supporting documentation in original form such as birth certificates or marriage certificates must be hand delivered to Suite 1, 1343 Malvern Road, Malvern.

Where appropriate, your request to the Prime Minister will be passed on to the Governor-General and The Queen so you only have to make one application.


When should I arrange the message?

You can lodge a request for congratulatory messages up to two months before the celebration.

You can also request a belated message up to one month after the birthday or wedding anniversary has passed.


Where will the message be delivered?

Congratulatory messages can be posted directly to the recipient’s home address or alternatively to care-of address (such as a friend or relative) for surprises.

Fill out my online form.

Higgins Medal

The young people of today will be the leaders of tomorrow.

That is why I have initiated the Higgins Medal. To recognise and celebrate the leadership potential of the next generation.

A Higgins Medal will be awarded to one student at each participating school who:

  • demonstrates leadership amongst their peers;
  • exhibits in their behaviour a commitment to the ethos of the school;
  • demonstrates excellence in attitude and achievement;
  • is a strong and consistent participant in school and community activity; and
  • exhibits an awareness of others and their needs.

Each student who is awarded a Higgins Medal will receive an individual Higgins Medal and a larger, perpetual Honours Board displaying the engraved name of each year’s successful recipient, will be provided to each school for display in a prominent position.

I hope this new award will encourage students in the electorate of Higgins to study with excellence whilst actively supporting their school community. For further information, schools should contact my electorate office on 9822 4422.


National Service Medal and Australian Defence Medal

These medals help commemorate and recognise the contribution made to Australia by people in our community. Application forms may be obtained from and submitted to Kelly O’Dwyer’s office by emailing (link) or phoning 03 9822 4422.

More information about Australian Government honours and awards can be found at

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact my office on 03 9822 4422.


Saluting Their Service

Certificates of Appreciation are available under the Australian Government’s Saluting Their Service Commemorations Program. They are a way of expressing the nation’s gratitude to those who served in the defence forces or on the home front in the Second World War or in wars, conflicts and peace operations overseas since the Second World War.

Certificates of Appreciation are available in respect of the following conflicts and events:

  • Second World War, for service in the Australian armed forces or on the home front;
  • British Commonwealth Occupation Force (BCOF) Japan;
  • Korean War;
  • Malayan Emergency;
  • Indonesian Confrontation;
  • Vietnam War;
  • Gulf War;
  • Iraq War; and
  • Peace Operations.

If you require any further information please contact Kelly’s office on 9822 4422

Application forms can also be downloaded at


Flag Presentations

Senators and Members are entitled to distribute certain large flags as described  below to the following eligible recipients:

  • schools, local councils, churches and other non-profit or benevolent community organisations, associations and groups which have occasion to display the flag from flag poles on their premises, or which display the flag on special public occasions, or in halls  or meeting rooms;
  • community organisations, Australian exchange students and humanitarian aid workers undertaking official visits or duties overseas; and
  • a family member, or an ex-service organisation representative, for use at the funeral of an Australian war veteran

Flags may not be made available under this program to businesses or commercial enterprises.

Additionally, Senators and Members have entitled to 50 large flags per financial year (no larger than 1,370mm x 685mm) for presentation to private individuals.

If you would like to request a flag or check eligibility contact my office.


Parliament Alive

Parliament Alive is a Parliamentary Education Office (PEO) outreach program for primary and secondary students. The program, which is run in partnership with federal members and senators, brings the parliamentary education role-play experience to schools across Australia.

Please contact our office for further details.


Update your Community Organisation Details

As your local Federal Member of Parliament, I recognise the valuable role of community organisations in our area. I know that dedicated volunteers operate most local community groups and I greatly appreciate the work that you and your colleagues do.

In order to support your organisation, I am keen to advise you of any funding or assistance available to you from the Federal Government or simply any information which I think you should be aware of.

As such, it would be greatly appreciated if you could please fill in the below information so I can keep in touch with your organisation.

Once again, thank you for your ongoing efforts, and please feel free to contact my office if there is any matter you’d like to discuss or if I can be of assistance in any way.


Grants Link

Please click here to be taken to the Grants Link page.